I love to give people gifts of gear that I have come to love. Among my favorite winter things this year (don’t read on if you think you’re on my gift list):
- Outdoor Research Verglas gaiters. They’re lightweight and waterproof/.breathable. They have a sturdy strap that goes under your boot and Velcro that stays tight on your leg; and they stay put, with no sliding or twisting.
- Yaktrax (for traction on snow and ice). If you don’t have these, I feel sorry for you. These babies go on my winter boots at first snow, and allow me to walk sure-footedly on sheer ice or crust.
- Turtle Fur MFS (micro fur stretch) neck gaiter. If my neck is warm, I’m warm. When I’m warm, I’m happy.
- REI mittens. Fleece liners, waterproof outers, downright cozy.
- Victorinox One-Hand Sentinel Clip knife. My husband loves knives, and this one is his favorite. It’s simple and practical – just a serrated locking blade, tweezers, toothpick and clip. And the one-handed opening comes in handy on the trail.
- SmartWool light hiker socks. Soft and warm; so comfy I want to wear them all the time. And they fit especially well in my winter hiking boots.
When you click through and buy these or other items this Christmas Season, you’ll be helping those less fortunate.