About this time every year, people start asking a lot of the same questions on the Yahoo Leadville 100 MTB group. Last year these questions were the motivation for a great article about preparing for your first ultra. Although it covers most of the common questions about Leadville, it may not be the best format for finding the answer to a specific question.
Nearly all the questions have many answers. It’s key to experiment during training to find what works for you and then stick to that on race day. My answers are based on racing the Leadville 100 6 times, crewing twice and just watching one year.
Here’s the outline for the questions I’ll be answering. I’ll add links here as I write the posts. Feel free to suggest more questions. Also feel free to add your comments on the answers.
- How do I enter?
- How does the entry lottery work?
- How to train?
- What to eat during rides?
- What Equipment?
- Best Bike?
- Which tires?
- Disc brakes or V-brakes?
- What’s the course like?
- How about the altitude?
- Where to stay?
- Race day questions
- How do I get my best finish time?
- When should I get to the start line?
- What do I do with drop bags?
- What to wear?
- What should I carry with me?
- How about the congestion on St. Kevins?
- What are the aid stations like?
- Will I finish?
- Music or No Music?
Subscribe to the blog feed so you don’t miss any posts. If you don’t know what to do with a feed, you can sign up for e-mail in the right side bar.
- 2007 Leadville 100 MTB pictures
- 2006 Leadville 100 MTB pictures
- Views from the Top of the Columbine Climb